Healthy recipe for people with diabetes. Low GI Recipe
Healthy recipe with a low glycemic index. Low fat Recipe
Healthy and delicious low fat recipe. Low carbohydrate Recipe
Healthy and flavoursome recipe low in carbohydrates. Dairy Free Recipe
Dairy free recipe for people with lactose intolerance. Gluten free Recipe
Gluten free recipe for people with gluten intolerance. Vegan Recipe
Healthy and tasty vegan recipe that contains no animal products. Heart Healthy Recipe
Heart healthy recipe to nourish your heart. Vegetarian Recipe
Healthy vegetarian recipe (the recipe may contain dairy or eggs only).
This is an excellent dish for summer entertaining and is ideal for serving outdoors on hot, summer nights. This is simple and easy to make.
- 600g prawns (use wild, fresh, uncooked prawns)
- 3 whole organic spring onions, chopped finely
- 2 medium organic carrots, grated medium
- 2 large organic peppers, chopped finely
- 6 organic tomatoes, chopped roughly
- 2 Tbs organic tomato paste
- Handful coriander leaves (use dried basil if fresh leaves not available), chopped roughly
- Salt and pepper to taste
- 2 Tbs extra virgin, cold pressed olive oil
Ingredients - Spicy Basmati Rice
- 1 cup organic basmati rice
- 2 Tb sp extra virgin, cold pressed olive oil
- 1/2 Tspn ground turmeric
- 1/2 Tspn ground cumin
- 1/2 Tspn ground coriander
- 1 Tspn salt
- Peel the shell from the prawns, but leave the tail intact.
- Remove the vein from the outer middle part of the prawns. Set the prawns aside in the fridge until they are ready to be added.
- Add the olive oil to a stainless steel frying pan and when warmed a little, add the chopped spring onions and cook over medium-high heat until they are almost translucent in colour.
- Add the grated carrots and stir through for about 2-3 minutes.
- Add the chopped peppers and stir through for another 2-3minutes.
- Add the chopped tomatoes as well as the tomato paste, salt and pepper and stir through.
- Leave to simmer for about 10 minutes. Add a little cold water if the sauce thickens too much.
- Add the basil leaves about five minutes into the simmering and stir through.
- Add the uncooked prawns and stir through until they are cooked - they become pink and curl around into a circular shape.
- Serve the dish by adding some rice to the dish, then to the side add some sauce and place the prawns on top of the sauce. Sprinkle with a bit of the coriander leaves.
Method - Spicy Basmati Rice
- Rinse out rice in cold water several times, until water is clear.
- Add rice to stainless steel pot with about 5cm (2") water covering it.
- Add the rest of the ingredients and leave covered to cook on medium heat, stirring occasionally.
- Check on the rice to make sure there is enough water for the rice to absorb (it can be a matter of trial and error until the right amount of water is used for this method).
- The rice will be cooked when the water has absorbed. The cooked rice will be fluffy and perfectly cooked.
|Nutrition Information||Amount||% Daily
|Calories from fat||96||23.3%|
|Total fat||10.7 g||16.2%|
|Saturated fat||1.7 g||8.1%|
|Dietary fibre||2.9 g||12.2%|
These are approximate values.
HommousHommous is a traditional Middle Eastern / Mediterranean dip which is high in protein and simple delicious...more
Mango vegetable pastaThis healthy pasta is made without any dressing - the juicy mango provides a delicious flavoursome dressing...more
Prawn marinaraPrawns cooked in a rich fresh tomato-based sauce with lots of herbs and flavour...more
Red snapper with quinoaRed snapper is full of heart-healthy omega-3 fatty acids and the quinoa makes this gluen-free...more
Spicy asparagus salmonThe asparagus is spiced and served with vegetables, quinoa and salmon pieces. Highly nutritious and tasty...more
Baked apple with glazed orangeA dessert that is as decadent as it is tasty. Low in sugar, high in fibre...more
Thai sweet chilli chicken saladHigh in protein, sweet and savoury, with some heat from the chilli, this recipe is divine...more
Stuffed eggplantThe eggplant is stuffed with minced meat and vegetable and baked for a delicious meal...more
Poached eggs, spinach and mushroomsRobust breakfast, high in protein, decadent, yet still exceedingly healthy and tasty...more
Most popular website content
SilicaSilica is a trace mineral, good for the skin, bones and teeth...more
LabyrinthitisLabyrinthitis is a disease of the inner ear, causing swelling and pain...more
Calorie IntakeThe recommended daily intake of calories is different for each age group and gender...more