Healthy recipe for people with diabetes. Low GI Recipe
Healthy recipe with a low glycemic index. Low fat Recipe
Healthy and delicious low fat recipe. Low carbohydrate Recipe
Healthy and flavoursome recipe low in carbohydrates. Dairy Free Recipe
Dairy free recipe for people with lactose intolerance. Gluten free Recipe
Gluten free recipe for people with gluten intolerance. Vegan Recipe
Healthy and tasty vegan recipe that contains no animal products. Heart Healthy Recipe
Heart healthy recipe to nourish your heart. Vegetarian Recipe
Healthy vegetarian recipe (the recipe may contain dairy or eggs only).
A delicious prawn recipe with a tomato-based sauce. The basmati rice is spiced and perfectly complements the prawns. This recipe is gluten-free, rich in protein and is nutritious.
Ingredients - Rice
- 1/2 cup organic basmati rice
- 1 Tbsp extra virgin, cold pressed olive oil
- 1/4 Tspn ground turmeric
- 1/4 Tspn ground cumin
- 1 Tspn salt
Ingredients - Prawns
- 400g raw prawns
- 3 Tbsp organic tomato paste
- 5-6 large organic tomatoes, cut up finely
- 1 medium organic eggplant (chopped finely)
- 5-6 organic cloves garlic
- 1/2 cup cold water
- 1 large organic onion (can be red or yellow)
- 2 Tbsp extra virgin, cold pressed olive oil
- 2-3 Tbsp fresh organic coriander
- Salt to taste
Method - Rice (Absorption Method)
Rinse out rice in cold water several times, until water is clear.
Add rice to stainless steel pot with about 5cm (2") water covering it.
Add the rest of the ingredients and leave covered to cook on medium heat, stirring occasionally.
Check on the rice to make sure there is enough water for the rice to absorb (it can be a matter of trial and error until the right amount of water is used for this method).
The rice will be cooked when the water has absorbed. The cooked rice will be fluffy and perfectly cooked.
Method - Prawns
Peel the shell from the prawns, but leave the tail intact. Remove the vein from the outer middle part of the prawns. Set the prawns aside in the fridge until they are ready to be added.
Finely mince the garlic cloves and add to a stainless steel pan with the olive oil over medium-high heat, stirring constantly with a wooden spoon.
Finely chop the onion and when the garlic turns slightly golden, add the onion and cook, stirring constantly, until the onion turns translucent in colour.
Meanwhile, peel the eggplant and chop it into fine pieces and add it to the pan, stirring through, reducing the heat to medium. If there is not enough moisture in the pan, add a little more olive oil.
Stir the contents of the pan for about 3 minutes, or until the eggplant pieces have been coated with the oil and the other ingredients.
Add the tomato paste and the water to the pan and stir through.
Chop up the tomatoes into small pieces and add to the pan, stirring through.
Add the salt to the pan and allow to simmer for about 10 minutes.
Finally, add the cooked prawns and coriander, stir through for about 2 minutes, or until the prawns are just cooked.
Serve the prawn mixture on the bed of rice and add a little fresh coriander on top.
To make this recipe more heart healthy, use lean (uncooked) chicken instead of the prawns.Advertisement
|Nutrition Information||Amount||% Daily
|Calories from fat||80||25.5%|
|Total fat||8.8 g||14.1%|
|Saturated fat||1.4 g||7.8%|
|Dietary fibre||5.4 g||21.9%|
These are approximate values.
- Hommous is a traditional Middle Eastern / Mediterranean dip which is high in protein and simple delicious...more
- This healthy pasta is made without any dressing - the juicy mango provides a delicious flavoursome dressing...more
- Prawns cooked in a rich fresh tomato-based sauce with lots of herbs and flavour...more
- Red snapper is full of heart-healthy omega-3 fatty acids and the quinoa makes this gluen-free...more
- The asparagus is spiced and served with vegetables, quinoa and salmon pieces. Highly nutritious and tasty...more
- A dessert that is as decadent as it is tasty. Low in sugar, high in fibre...more
- High in protein, sweet and savoury, with some heat from the chilli, this recipe is divine...more
- The eggplant is stuffed with minced meat and vegetable and baked for a delicious meal...more
- Robust breakfast, high in protein, decadent, yet still exceedingly healthy and tasty...more
Most popular website content