Healthy recipe for people with diabetes. Low GI Recipe
Healthy recipe with a low glycemic index. Low fat Recipe
Healthy and delicious low fat recipe. Low carbohydrate Recipe
Healthy and flavoursome recipe low in carbohydrates. Dairy Free Recipe
Dairy free recipe for people with lactose intolerance. Gluten free Recipe
Gluten free recipe for people with gluten intolerance. Vegan Recipe
Healthy and tasty vegan recipe that contains no animal products. Heart Healthy Recipe
Heart healthy recipe to nourish your heart. Vegetarian Recipe
Healthy vegetarian recipe (the recipe may contain dairy or eggs only).
This is a really hearty winter recipe, that is very filling, delicious and full of fibre and nutrients.
- 4 organic skinless chicken breasts fillets, cut in half
- 4 large organic vine-ripened tomatoes, chopped
- 1 red Spanish onion, chopped
- 400ml chicken stock
- 1/4 cup fresh basil
- 200g snow peas
- 4 zucchini, cut julienne
- 1/2 cup wild and brown rice
- 2-3 Tbsp balsamic vinegar
- 1 small fresh chilli, seeded and chopped finely
- 3 Tbsp extra virgin, cold pressed olive oil
- Heat 1 tablespoon of the olive oil in a large, cast iron casserole pan.
- Cook onion over low heat, until it is soft (add a little stock if the onion starts sticking to the pan).
- Add the vinegar, then add the garlic, chilli and tomatoes and cook uncovered on high heat, until the tomatoes are thick and pulpy.
- Add the stock and bring to the boil.
- Once it has boiled, reduce the heat and simmer gently, uncovered, until the sauce is reduced by about half and then season to taste with salt.
- Brush the chicken with some olive oil and brown it in a large saucepan over high heat.
- Add the browned chicken pieces to the tomato mixture.
- Cook the tomato mixture, covered on low heat, for about 20 minutes, or until chicken is properly cooked.
- Stir in the chopped basil.
- Meanwhile, cook the wild and brown rice, uncovered in salted water for about 20 minutes or until cooked.
- Drain the rice, stir in 2 tablespoons of olive oil and season with salt and pepper to taste.
- Spoon rice into bowls. Add the tomato chicken mixture and serve with the snow peas and zucchini on the side.
This recipe is a little high in fat, but if you trim the fat off the chicken, then it reduces the amount of fat in the recipe. It is relatively low in sodium (especially if you use your own chicken stock) and very high in fibre, making it a heart healthy recipe.Advertisement
|Nutrition Information||Amount||% Daily
|Calories from fat||187||29%|
|Total fat||20.8 g||28.4%|
|Saturated fat||4.2 g||19.5%|
|Dietary fibre||7.0 g||23.3%|
These are approximate values.
- Hommous is a traditional Middle Eastern / Mediterranean dip which is high in protein and simple delicious...more
- This healthy pasta is made without any dressing - the juicy mango provides a delicious flavoursome dressing...more
- Prawns cooked in a rich fresh tomato-based sauce with lots of herbs and flavour...more
- Red snapper is full of heart-healthy omega-3 fatty acids and the quinoa makes this gluen-free...more
- The asparagus is spiced and served with vegetables, quinoa and salmon pieces. Highly nutritious and tasty...more
- A dessert that is as decadent as it is tasty. Low in sugar, high in fibre...more
- High in protein, sweet and savoury, with some heat from the chilli, this recipe is divine...more
- The eggplant is stuffed with minced meat and vegetable and baked for a delicious meal...more
- Robust breakfast, high in protein, decadent, yet still exceedingly healthy and tasty...more
Most popular website content