Nutrition Questions and Answers
Vital Health Zone is proud to announce Lesa Rusher, who is our resident naturopathic expert and who is available to answer questions about nutrition and health.
Lesa Rusher is a qualified naturopath with a thriving business in Canberra, Australia and has a wealth of experience treating clients on a variety of health issues. Lesa Rusher's full credentials can be found in our experts area.
Lesa Rusher will answer your nutrition-related questions.
Q: What are some natural remedies / products for rosacea that can be used to help my condition?
A: The treatment of rosacea depends on where on the body it is found and if the eyes are also affected.
The best to deal with rosacea is to fight it internal, so that it does not present any symptoms externally.
The best healing vitamins/minerals/other nutrients for rosacea are:
- Zinc - this mineral helps the skin layers to heal much more quickly and effectively and therefore reduce the symptoms of rosacea
- Vitamin B3 (niacin) - this vitamins works really well together with zinc to help with healing the skin and reducing the symptoms associated with rosacea
- Vitamin A / betacarotene - vitamin A is absolutely essential for the skin, as it is required to ensure that all the layers of the skin (dermis) are in a healthy condition. Betacarotene can be converted into vitamin A, but this conversion may be defective in some people, so vitamin A is the preferable supplement in this case
- Vitamin C (including bioflavonoids) - these are essential for helping the capillaries (smallest blood vessels) to be healthy and function properly, which may help to reduce symptoms
- Vitamin E - this vitamin helps to prevent free radical damage and helps to promotes healthy skin, as it reduces skin inflammation and symptoms associated with rosacea
- Omega 3 essential fatty acids - reduce inflammation everywhere in the body and can help to reduce the redness and inflammation of the skin that is associated with rosacea
You can either buy a supplement with all of these nutrients or find a product that has some of these nutrients in the cream. It is most beneficial to get the nutrients in the form of food you are eating and also from supplements. You also need to ensure that any supplements you wish to take do not interfere with any medication or health conditions you may have, so consult your doctor prior to taking anything.
Please note that the information provided is for educational purposes only and is not meant to diagnose or treat medical conditions. Consult with your medical physician regarding appropriateness of using supplements in your healing process.
Enjoy better health!